Wednesday, September 25, 2013

iExamen 1


Walk Slower
To be honest, this is probably one of the first times I had ever really sat down and thought about my communication tendencies with others.  So this was a nice experience for me.  When I am not in my room or in class my day is usually a collection of passing hellos.  I am always on the move going somewhere to do something and so stopping for a face-to-face conversation is not always an option.  I am very time oriented and walk fast when I feel I may be late somewhere which takes away from my ability to communicate with others.  My body language is normal and my clothes are nothing to talk about.  I do not believe in dressing nice to class and do not make statements with any designer clothes.
            Communication involving technology is virtually not existent.  I have a Facebook that I do not check or update and do not have any other social networks.  I always have my phone on me but I do not call many people and only text when I have to.  I have realized a funny passing question between me and other guys.  A lot of times when I pass a guy I am friends with they will ask, “Hey man, what’s up?” and I will respond with the exact same phrase.  Surprisingly, neither of us will answer the question nor do either of us have any intention of answering. 
            So, I spent my one-hour of no technology between 3:15 and 4:15 on Tuesday September 24, 2013.  My every first feeling was a sort of numbness and confusion.  I could not check my phone for sports news.  Plus, I couldn’t watch TV so my free time had to be spent in a different way.  In order to accomplish such a goal I had to leave my room.  I decided to take a walk around campus with a book in hand.  I immediately noticed a want to stop and talk with friends.  I decided to actually answer the consistent question, “Hey, what’s up man?”  I also took a closer look at my surroundings.  Every tree, every shade, I was more aware of it all.  The most fun was people watching in the quad.  Grabbing some shade and just watching the world.  The biggest problem was that since I did not have my phone I had no idea what time it was so my hour lasted longer than it was suppose to. 
            When I returned to “civilization”, I jumped back on my couch, turned on the TV, and got updated with all that happened in the sports world.  Though my take towards face-to-face communication definitely changed.  I actually intend on leaving earlier to class or practice so I have the ability to stop and talk with friends.  On this small campus, the opportunity comes up often.  I did not change drastically but this little experiment had an impact for only participating in it for an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment