Wednesday, October 23, 2013

iExamen2 Mommy & Me

Molly Carlson
iExamen 2

Mommy & Me

The first thing I did when I read this assignment prompt was laugh.  The second thing I did was try to figure out how exactly to tell whether or not something was "useful."  The third thing I did was read it aloud to share the humor with my roommate, at which point I realized that there could be--and are--very many things that can make an interaction useful.  
I chose Wednesday as my "nice day" and for the first five or six hours it was entirely uneventful.  I just about forgot that I was trying to be nice in the first place because the people who I surround myself with on a daily basis make it easy to be kind.  Things changed, however, when I got frustrated by the fact that my contacts--which I have gone without for several days now due to slow shipping--had still not arrived.  I texted my mother to ask about the contact shipment and was about to scold her for waiting so long to place the order when I stopped and asked myself what sort of ungrateful daughter would do that sort of thing.  My mother, the woman who both placed the order and paid for the contacts themselves, had no control over the shipping speed of the contact company or the fact that she didn't have a lot of free time to spend ordering me new contacts.  That moment ended up prompting me to go back and read the things that I had said to my mother recently; I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had largely been loving and positive with her, yet I found far too many examples of unfair blame and anger on my part.  

The experience really made me think a lot about my relationship with my mother, and whether or not I truly grasped the point of this assignment it helped me fix a relationship that has been strained for quite some time.  I look forward to a more positive relationship with my mother and hope that continued use of self-awareness and similar exercises will help me to become an even better communicator than this one did.  

No comments:

Post a Comment