Wednesday, October 23, 2013

iExamen 2


Zach Martin
EN 101
Prof. Ellis
10/23/13
iExamen 2

            Heading into this assignment, I thought it was going to be rather easy, and that I would be able to fulfill its requirements effortlessly. After all, I only had to worry about one thing, being “kind, useful and true”. That’s not too much to ask for, right!? Well, I sure ended up having a lot of trouble with it.
            Right from the start of my day, I noticed that all the jokes I wanted to make with my friends broke the rules. It turns out; the majority of my humor consists of witty, yet a little snide remarks. Also, I tend to be very sarcastic in order to get a reaction out of people. Those who know me know that I do not mean any harm with my remarks, and I am just trying to make a joke. When I was walking to my first class of the day with my roommate Kilian, he asked me what I thought about his shoes. Normally, I would respond with a quick joke, such as “maybe if you were dressing up as a clown”, but instead I told him that I liked them right away. Kilian was a little shocked at my directness and questioned the sincerity of my answer because I just gave him a straight, simple answer.
            At the end of the day when I was winding down, I reflected a little on my experiences for the day. It became clear to me that I have a tendency to say mean or rude things for the sake of humor. I realized that if someone does not know me, they may take my jokes the wrong way and feel offended. Also, I realized that even the littlest compliment that is both true and nice can mean a lot. Although it was not easy, and at times I had to think twice about what I was going to say, I really enjoyed this second iExamen. I feel as though I got a lot out of it and learned a lot about how I interact with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment