Wednesday, October 23, 2013

iExamen 2


Patrick Kelly
Understanding Lit.
10/23/13

                                                        Certain Sense of Humor


          I knew before starting this experiment that it was going to be a little weird for me and weird for the people I'm with on a regular basis. The reason for this is because the way me and my friends communicate is mainly through joking and making fun of each other. It's harmless fun and some people might take it the wrong way but we know each other well enough to know that there is no intent to harm behind our jokes and pranks. It is never directed at one person, we're always picking on each other evenly, the main idea though is if your going to dish it out you better be able to take it.
          But today when I woke up I was only nice and kind to everyone I encountered. I didn't tell my friends about this experiment though because I wanted to see if they could tell the difference and they absolutely could in maybe like the first five minutes I was talking to them. It happened as I was walking from my car to my class. I ran into one of my friends on Cold Spring Road and as he walked past me he asked me if I was going out tonight, I told him I couldn't because I had a lot of work to do and he responded by calling me a derogatory word in order to be little me into going out. I knew he was just waiting for me to respond in a similar way but I stuck true to the experiment and responded to him by saying, "I hope you have a really fun time out tonight and I'm sorry I can't make it." He was so confused and instantly knew something was up because he said, "What the hell was that?" I just laughed and told him I had to go because I was going to be late for class but he just stood there looking at me all confused.
          I noticed that this communication is different for me only when I am talking to people I know or people who I am close with. People that I don't know or have just met I am very polite and would never talk to them the way I talk to my close friends because they wouldn't understand my humor and it would be out of place. I liked being oddly nice to my friends though, mainly because it just confused them and they didn't know how to respond. I feel like communicating like this hindered me because it's not who I am. Don't get me wrong, I think it is important to be nice and kind to people but you can't be nice all the time because that can just get annoying. From my standpoint I think its important to be able to joke with your friends in a way where they can joke with you back because there's a sense of comfortableness where you don't have to watch what you say and you can be accepted for being yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment